Last night (March 29), local authorities announced the first official case of COVID-19 in St. Joseph County, MI. Along with the advice of health and government officials, we are urging community members to shelter in place and practice all safety precautions listed below in an effort to mitigate the spread of the virus. Beginning today on our website, we will be posting profiles of individuals and local agencies who are offering relief resources at this time.
We urge county volunteers and individuals interested in assisting the community to follow CDC guidelines as this disease is incredibly contagious by way of physical/material contact.
Our hearts go out to those struggling in grief, illness, and need during this crisis.
SAFETY MEASURES AND ADVICE
- Clean your hands often for 20 seconds with soap and hot water. Carry/use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean surfaces of all kinds, as the virus can remain on objects for quite some time.
- Avoid close contact with people and stay home in accordance to the shelter in place order issued by the state of Michigan.
- Stay updated with CDC guidelines and instructions.
- Reach out virtually to friends and family for mutual support. There is power in community encouragement.