- This event has passed.
Weekly Witness for Peace
October 6, 2020 @ 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, repeating until November 3, 2020
“Release the need to hate, to harbor division, and the enticement of revenge. Release all bitterness. Hold only love, only peace in your heart, knowing that the battle of good to overcome evil is already won.”
– John Lewis, Across that Bridge: Life Lessons and a Vision for Change
“Peacemaking doesn’t mean passivity. It is the act of interrupting injustice without mirroring injustice, the act of disarming evil without destroying the evildoer, the act of finding a third way that is neither fight nor flight but the careful, arduous pursuit of…justice. It is about a revolution of love that is big enough to set both the oppressed and the oppressors free.”
– Shane Claiborne, Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
Times of powerful division and anxiety call for powerful expressions of peace and compassionate action. Throughout human history, those committed to the hard work of building peace in community have found hope and strength in simply standing together as one. As a humble expression of peace, each Tuesday in October and the first Tuesday in November, the Huss Project will host a physically-distanced half hour of silence outdoors from 5:00-5:30 p.m.
Participants are welcome to take whatever posture of prayer, meditation, or reverence is most comfortable for them; there is no specific religious affiliation. For those who would like to keep their bodies moving in silence, there will be a couple of short walking paths around the Huss Project property.
- Please park in the main parking lot and visit the blue tent by the main entrance to Huss to check in. Kindly bring a mask to wear at check-in, but feel free to remove masks when physically distanced out on the property during the silence.
- Silence will be observed outdoors no matter the weather, so please come prepared for the day’s forecast.
- If you’d like to sit, please bring your own chair or ground covering.
- A bell will sound to mark the beginning and end of the half hour. If you can only attend a portion of the time, please come!
If your organization would like to be a community partner for this event, please get in touch before September 28. All are welcome to participate in this series of events, in hope and solidarity for a community of flourishing for all.